• Select a School
  • Language
Admin

School History

New Diana School History

  • New Diana was the consolidation of 4 communities; Ashland, James,
    Shelton, and Graceton. These four communities had business and bustling
    business. Each had a small 2-4 school house. In 1933 the community of Stamps
    joined the consolidation.
 
  • The community schools tore down the school buildings in the communities and used the wood to build the first New Diana School.
 
  • The original land was donated by Sid Buie.
 
  • The communities was to call the consolidated schools Diana but the name was already taken by another district in west Texas so it was decided to call it New Diana.
 
  • New Diana was located in the address of James Texas.
 
  • The first school had 8 classrooms, an auditorium, an out house, 1 principal and 8 teachers.
 
  • There was a 42 gallon barrel with a pump by the well. Students had to bring their own cup.
 
  • The first Superintendent was M.H. Gipson 1930-1931.

 

  • The first principal was H. Hudspeth.
 
  • The first school had no buses. Men in the community outfitted their pickup truck with benches on the back to transport students.
 
  • In 1946 the James post office was moved from south Sego Lily Rd to near New Diana school.
  • In 1952 they attempted to change the name of the post office to New Diana Texas however it was refused by the postal department because of the "New". They felt there were to many "New" communities. So the post office and community was changed to Diana Texas.